"L stands for little": dedicated to every girl who has ever said, "I'm starting Monday"!

Learning to love & take care of the body we have!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Starting anew

No, I am not posting today to say, "I'm starting Monday".  This weekend wasn't the best eating for me but definately wasn't the worst.  Let's just say it was a higher calorie day Friday evening and yesterday.  This "no diet" mentality thing may be harder than I thought for me.  I am so use to putting my self on strict diet plans that having some freedom has been great but also a little too cushy.  It's been great in the fact that when I've eaten a snack that in the past would have been considered "forbidden" (like a  banana with PB) I didn't go off and eat everything else in sight that is forbidden.  Yesterday, however, I did snack on a few too many snack size candies (pumpkin kisses, m&ms, reese's, jolly rancher).  Then after an evening of miniature golfing with friends I had a scoop of Baskin Robbins cookies & cream ice cream.  Wouldn't have been so bad if I wouldn't have been so slack in my eating earlier in the day.  You can always fit a treat into a healthy diet right?  At least I went on a 5-mile hike yesterday.  Anyways, I decided since I am use to some rules in my old life of dieting I need to set a few to help keep me focused and on track to achieve my goals and give me some structure.  Instead of calling them rules, I am calling them goals.
GOALS
1.  eat a good balance or protein and carbs at every meal
2.  eat higher glycemic carbs earlier in the day, especially after an intense workout
3.  eat every 2-3 hours if hungry (this is never a problem for me, the problem is all the bites in between:)  about 5-6 smaller meals per day, I am a grazer  for sure!
4.  don't eat after dinner unless really hungry, not just bored.  Even then make it a protein snack
5.  Don't count calories:  calorie counting doesn't work for me, I get all flustered if I think I am too close to my budget and then tend to throw in the towel.  Plus, you don't always know how many calories are in something if someone else makes the dish.  I have found the hand fist method works best for me.  Each meal should have a carb the size of your fist and a protein the size of your palm.  Veggies can be eaten liberally until satisfied (unless starchy & loaded with butter)
Not eating at night has been something I have always wanted to follow.  I think most of my night time eating is for comfort reasons, or the sweet tooth kicking in, not because I physically need food.  I will achieve these nutritional goals and I am starting right now!

Moving onto breakfast:
I picked up a box of Trader Joe's multigrain pancake mix and whipped up half a batch this morning using 1 T. unsweetened applesauce instead of oil, 2 egg whites, cinnamon, vanilla, and diced apples. I topped my two pancakes with about 1 T. cranberry apple butter from TJ's, a drizzle of sugar free syrup and some left over sliced apples.  It was really good, not much protein in it but at least I had a carbohydrate loaded meal early in the day.  Next time I make these I am going to incorporate some more protein in the meal :)

No comments: